The councilman of Culture, Tourism and Sport, Damian Caneda, yesterday presented the balance of tourism behavior during the first quarter, has again demonstrated the strength of Malaga city as one of the most important destinations in Spain despite the effects of the economic crisis and that these months coincide with the season of the sector.
Thus, according to data provided by the National Statistics Institute (INE), in the first quarter a total of 181,327 travelers stayed in hotels in the city, representing an increase of 11.06% over the same period in 2011. Of all travelers, 102 405 (the 56.48%) were domestic and 78,922 foreigners (43.52%).
Thus, Malaga was in the first quarter, urban destination in Spain with the highest growth in number of travelers staying ahead of Bilbao (10.43%), Córdoba (9.14%), Zaragoza (6.95%) and Madrid (3.35%). Moreover, the growth of Malaga is also higher average increase in the province (2.53%), the region (0.52%) and Spain (0.14%).
Similarly, according to INE data, this time the growth rates of Malaga city are also above those of other major tourist destinations of the Costa del Sol, Torremolinos and only increased the number of travelers staying in hotels in 2.95% and other coastal towns such as Nerja, Marbella, Fuengirola or Benalmádena, recorded declines.
This data has been possible thanks to the recovery of the domestic market in recent months of last year had been badly damaged due to the effects on consumption has been the economic crisis.Not surprisingly, the number of domestic passengers in the first quarter rose 14.12% and 7.84% in overnight stays. Meanwhile, the number of international travelers increased by 3.72% and stays generated by these tourists 7.95%.
Thus, in this period the growth rates experienced in passenger figures from Galicia (88.57%), Madrid (75.55%), Basque (59.60%), Andalusia (44.97%) and Catalonia (24.03%). Among international travelers most striking increases were among the markets that are still a minority in the city, so the Department of Tourism will continue to work to further improve their behavior.In this case, highlight the numbers of Japan (211.56%), Russia (165.41%), Norway (31.89%) or Portugal (26.49%).
Still, international markets with more weight in the tourism sector of the city are still United Kingdom (with a 13.39% increase in the number of passengers in the first quarter), Germany (who suffered a slight decline of 1, 46%), France (which increased by 32.95%) and Netherlands (8.24% more), for the first time is ahead of Italy.
In March alone, last month in which there are official figures, Malaga hotels housed a total of 70,579 passengers, which translates into an increase of 6.95% over the same month last year. Of all travelers, 37,883 (a 53.67%) were domestic and the remaining 32,696 (the 46.33%), foreigners. The average stay in March was 1.75 days and the hotel occupancy rate reached 53.06%.
Overnight stays in hotels
On the other hand, travelers staying in hotels recorded in the first quarter a total of 329,345 overnight stays, representing an increase of 10.28% over the same period in 2011. In March alone there were 123,392 farms, more than 2.59%.
During the first three months of the year, 50.85% of overnight stays (a total of 167,474) were made by Spanish travelers while the remainder, 161,871 (49.15% the), were due to passengers of different markets international.
Thus, Malaga was also in this parameter with the highest growth urban destination in Spain, ahead of Cordoba (9.88%), Bilbao (9%), Zaragoza (8.56%), Madrid (5.01% ) and Barcelona (2.41%). Also in Malaga city overnight stays grew more prominent than the average for the province (3.09%), Andalusia (0.005%) and Spain (-0.66%).
Importance of cultural
The councilman of Culture, Tourism and Sports underlined that tourism forecasts for the coming months are also very good. In fact, Caneda pointed to the April figures, not yet officially known, will be in the same direction as the first quarter and reflect the influence of Holy Week, the exhibition of the Shroud and the Festival Film have the elements of attraction for visitors.
In this regard, the delegate of Tourism has stressed the importance of the cultural offerings of the city, with an ever more remarkable range of museums, entertainment, dining and events, is having to make possible these growth figures. Similarly, Caneda has shown the strength of other segments, such as congresses, conventions and incentives or cruise.
On the latter, the council recalled that in the absence of a few days left in April, in the first four months of the year have reached the port of Malaga a total of 183,448 cruise passengers aboard 82 vessels, representing an increase of 32.62% over the same period last year. Only 37 boats have arrived in April, with 83,950 visitors, which translates into an increase of 68.09% and confirms our city as one of the largest marinas in Spain.
Tourist information points
Logically, these growth figures have also had their impact on the work of the different points usually municipal tourist information. In the first quarter of the year have been addressed in the various offices under the Department of Tourism (Plaza de la Marina, Andalusia Avenue, street Alcazabilla, visitor center Ben Gabirol, María Zambrano station, Costa del Sol airport and cruise terminal) A total of 205,360 visitors, representing an increase of 27.47% over the same period of 2011.
Save information about the airport, which in recent months has received fewer flights, all information centers have increased their numbers, but stresses particularly the office of the Plaza de la Marina, which has been an increase in 37.83% of visitors. For its part, the information point of the season, which opened its doors on April 1, has received almost 5,000 visits this month.